I prepared a major update for Famous Scientists. Perhaps, I spent more time on it than on the original app, but it’s worth it. The number of improvements is significant:
1) 20 new scientists (from Descartes to Avogadro) with info descriptions.
2) Main menu like in my other apps with the choice of modes.
3) Multiple-choice mode (called “Chaos”, while the original linear mode is called “Order”). Portraits of scientists can be answers and the buttons are scaled correspondingly.
4) There is no longer possible to lose and start all over after 5 wrong letters. This innovation didn’t stimulate purchasing of Unlimited Hints and just annoyed the players.
5) Minor corrections in the German title and keywords. However, I didn’t add the Dutch localization (though I added a new Dutch scientist – Antoine van Leeuwenhoek, an inventor of the microscope and the discoverer of unicellular organisms).
If these improvements revive the app, I’ll update several my old apps as well and I’m always open to your suggestions.
Famous Scientists is a bit different from my previous quizzes. This app has so far one linear mode. Each question is a portrait of a famous scientist or a mathematician with an option to view an addition info (when he or she lived and why this person is famous) for 10 hints or open the next letter for 15 hints. If a player makes 5 mistakes, the game sequence returns back to Einstein (question #1). If you hate to lose and want to see all scientist and all info, you may consider buying the unlimited hints in Settings.
The English description of the game is the following:
Can you guess a famous scientist or a mathematician? Do you know why he or she is famous? Challenge yourself!
More than 40 scientists from Ancient Greek philosophers to modern cosmologists and molecular biologists.
1. There are 42 scientists in version 1.0. I tried to choose ones recognizable by a broad audience, not only by chemistry PhD’s. Depending on how successful this app is, I may add a couple of new faces. By the way, the longest part in preparing the app was to find and translate the info about scientists into all 8 languages.
– If first+last names have 11 or less letters, I put them both. Otherwise, only the surname.
– English physicists is the most numerous party in the app.
– There are 2 women scientists and 2 living scientists.
icons for buttons were downloaded from iconmonstr or were created with Font Awesome.